Saturday, October 13, 2012

USMC ILBE Pack System

During my time in the Marine Corps, I've humped pretty much every pack and ruck that the Corps has issued in the last 20-30 years. I've humped the large and medium ALICE ruck, the MOLLE pack, and the newest Improved Load Bearing Equipment (ILBE) pack.

The ALICE is tried and true, and many military servicemen still prefer it over the latest and greatest. The MOLLE had it's issues (read: frame prone to cracking) but in my opinion rode well and had a huge capacity.

The Marine Corps' newest ILBE pack is quite impressive, and progressive in the fact that it's the first internal frame pack that the Marine Corps has issued. 


After having to turn in my issued ILBE pack, I have recently acquired a brand new ILBE pack for personal use.







The ILBE is an extremely comfortable pack, with an almost excessive amount of padding. Being the first internal frame pack that I've ever used, I felt the load being closer to the body lead to it being more comfortable and agile to walk with.

The ILBE actually comes as a system, with a detachable assault/3-day pack. I have not bothered to purchase one of these for personal use, as I've never really cared for them. There are far more superior 3-day packs on the market.
















The ILBE was intended to not only carry a heavy load, but to also make carrying odd-sized and cumbersome items (ammo cans, mortar/rocket rounds, mortar tubes, mortar bases, etc.) more comfortable for the infantryman to carry. This is why there is a lot of webbing and straps on the sides of the pack. The amount of straps is my only gripe about this pack, as managing them can be a pain in the ass.

Sleeping pads can be carried on either side of the pack, or as I preferred later, to be carried horizontally on the back of the pack. The square looking "pouch" secured by a snap closure on the front of the pack is actually a fold-out shelf to be used to secure the 3-day pack or ammo cans.The shelf has a fastex buckle that secures to a buckle under the lid of the pack.

On either side of the pack, there are side zipper access points, making it easy for you to get to your gear.The lid of the ILBE is detachable, and is able to be worn much like a butt pack. I like to keep essentials in the lid, so in the event that I need to ditch the main pack, I could retain the lid and quickly move on.

The ILBE is not widely available, and when found, are typically expensive (in complete and new condition, think $300-$400). If you come upon an opportunity to acquire one of these at a decent price, I would certainly jump at it!

3 comments:

  1. Nice packs for more ILBE packs just visit
    ILBE Pack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you put the Sleeping system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie Jones, thanks for reading. Unlike the MOLLE II ruck, the ILBE does not have a dedicated sleeping system compartment. With the ILBE, you compact the sleeping system as much as possible and put it in the main compartment with the rest of your kit.

      Delete