Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sterno Stove Kit

My apologies for the delay over the last few weeks. I really want to wrap up these reviews on alternate field cooking methods, however life has just been...let's say "full" lately. I've had to focus on work and training and haven't had much time for peripherals. That being said, let's get on with it.

Next up is the Sterno Stove Kit.


This set up is very similar to the previously reviewed Sterno Portable Folding Stove, however this kit include a very large pan, an 8OZ cup, and a "multi-use utensil." Like most modern cooksets, all components of the kit nest nicely inside the large pan.



As you can see, this kit is significantly more substantial than the previously reviewed Sterno portable stove. When I look at this kit, I see it as a more long-term, stationary solution. It's quite large, so I can't see it as a packable option, or even for the purposes of a vehicle kit. Vehicles are obviously mobile, vehicle kits should be too. I think this is a great option to have in a "Bug In" kit, as a supplement to  backpacking or propane stove options.

This stove can be had for approximately $20; I got mine from the camping section of my local Walmart. This kit is well constructed using very sturdy materials. The entire kit weighs in the ballpark of two pounds. Instructions are included with the stove, however assembly is fairly straight forward.





Ready to cook!


As a practical exercise, I will see how long it takes for the Sterno Stove Kit to boil 2 cups of water in the included pan. The reason I decided to use 2 cups as a reference point is because that is the amount of water required to prepare your average Mountain House freeze dried backpacking meal. It was a warm summer day, and I performed the test on my concrete patio in my backyard. My backyard is fully fenced so the wind was minimal. In other words, ideal conditions.



 Like with the Sterno folding stove previously reviewed, over 12 minutes elapsed without the Sterno fuel bringing the water to a full boil.



 Like with the other Esbit and Sterno kits I've reviewed, I don't consider the test to be a failure. The water was plenty hot to make instant coffee or prepare a freeze dried meal. If a full rolling boil is your requirement, obviously look elsewhere. The results appear to be consistent in that Esbit and Sterno fuels, while a great option to heat water or food, are not capable of burning hot enough to bring water to a full boil. Irregardless, these kits supplement modern backpacking and propane stoves nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment