Saturday, October 10, 2015

A General Purpose AR15

We all know the AR15 to be a light, compact, accurate, and capable rifle. The M16/AR15 family of weapons and its 5.56x45mm cartridge has served me well, thus making the rifle my preference. I've carried some form of the M16 for my entire adult life serving in the Marine Corps and law enforcement. I am intimately familiar with the rifle and its use, manipulation, and maintenance.

My current AR15 has a 14.5" chrome lined barrel and a carbine length gas system, closely resembling the foundation of the U.S. Military M4.


The specifications are as follows:

Kaiser Defense (U.S. Defense Contractor) lower reciever
GG&G flattop upper receiver
14.5" chrome lined barrel
Daniel Defense 12" Lite Rail
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE pistol grip
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Magpul Battery Assist Device (BAD)
Stag Arms ambidextrous safety selector
KNS trigger pins
Advanced Armament Blackout flash suppressor
Aimpoint T-1 (4 MOA) in Larue Tactical LT660 mount
TangoDown iO T-1 optic cover
Troy folding sights
Surefire X300 weaponlight
Blue Force Gear VCAS sling










In its current configuration, this AR15 represents a modern iteration of the M4 carbine and its capabilities. I feel that this is an excellent option for a general purpose rifle. It is light, handy, and easily transported. It is compact enough for close quarters work yet still retains the ability to reach out and engage both close and medium range targets. While the Marine Corps qualifies with the M4 carbine at 500 meters, the 5.56x45mm cartridge is ballistically lacking at that distance in my opinion. Can I consistently hit targets at 500 meters with an M4? Absolutely, but in a combat situation I would much rather do so with a 7.62x51mm rifle if available.

While this rifle is again more of a general purpose rifle, I have a BCM lower receiver in my safe that begs to be turned into more of a recon/recce rifle. My plan for that rifle is is a 16" or 18" barrel, mid-length gas system, and some type of variable magnified optic. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment