Sunday, September 6, 2015

Garmin eTrex Vista GPS Receiver

Land navigation is a vital skill and can be intimidating to learn.

Before I get into one of the GPS units I use, I want to make it clear that one should know how to navigate using a map and compass BEFORE investing money in a GPS receiver. In my opinion, a GPS is a supplement to the map and compass. The map and compass do not require batteries, are EMP-proof, do not require satellite reception, and are not susceptible to electronic jamming.

That being said, the GPS is faster and easier to use on the fly and gives you the advantage of speed, accuracy, and all of your navigational needs in the palm of your hand. I use the Garmin eTrex Vista.


It's the same GPS I was issued in the Marine Corps, the same GPS I used during both of my tours in Iraq, and it's the GPS I am most familiar with. The unit comes with a pre-loaded basic map of North America. More detailed maps (streets, buildings, land marks, etc) and maps of other countries are available for purchase.

Some key specifications my particular model:

Waterproof
Uses common AA batteries
Battery life of at least 12 hours
Allows up to 1000 waypoints and 20 routes
Electronic compass
Barometric altimeter
Hunt/Fish calendar
Sun/Moon information
Area calculations

On my GPS, I like to mark waypoints where I can find water or shelter, or danger areas/choke points that pose a tactical disadvantage in my particular area. I also mark each of my preferred bivouac/camp sites.

One of the features of the GPS that you will use more often is the electronic compass. The advantage of an electronic compass is that it is not susceptible to interference from power lines or metal equipment, like the rifle that's probably in your hands.

The GPS coordinates can be displayed in lat/long or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS). Accurate coordinates can assist in your effectively relaying your exact location to rescuing forces or coordinating friendly units.

Keep your operating environment in mind when planning. If you will be operating in dense jungle/woods or even a dense urban area, know that these sort of environments can and will limit your satellite reception, which will adversely effect your GPS accuracy. The Garmin eTrex is cost effective, has ample features, and is simple to use. Even for those that are "navigationally impaired" it is easy to figure out how to use one of these units. 

No comments:

Post a Comment